Book logo xindy

A Flexible Indexing System

Re: Modules for spanish language under xindy

Yannis Haralambous writes:
 > On 1/07/99 at 20:57, agmartin@aq.upm.es (Agustín Martín) wrote:
 >
 > > Congratulations to the xindy team, I am finding it very useful. I intend
 > > to speak a bit about it in a spanish TeX workshop to be held in
 > > september, with a general overview and its application to spanish. I am
 > > sure people will like it.

First of all thanks to Agustín who has provided us with style files
for Spanish. Hopefully more people can use xindy to solve probles
related to their native langage as Agustín has done.

BTW: Everything is now available on our web-site.

 > I think xindy could do much better: consider the case where you
 > have Spanish and Greek, or French and Russian, or Italian and
 > Hebrew, or German and Polish... there are so many of combinations
 > of two languages having different 8-bit codepages. There is no way
 > to say to xindy that we are switching codepages and sorting must be
 > different for each one. Fatally xindy will identify the ^^e0 of one
 > codepage with ^^e0 of the other codepage and the result will be
 > crazy.
 >
 > The most natural solution to this is to work in 16-bits. Everyone
 > is switching to 16-bits today, even Microsoft (which I hate so
 > much) with Windows2000.
 >
 > It is my conviction that to be really multilingual, xindy must
 > become 16-bit compatible.

...which is not that easy as I've already told.

Again I'd like to stress that just using 16bit encodings does not
solve all of the problems as I mentioned recently on this mailing
list, esp. the problems that deal with the rule-substitution
mechanisms. It is not a 16bit-problem in my opinion -- instead it is a
a problem of structuring letters, which is something quite different.

Cheers, Roger

--
Roger Kehr			       kehr@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Computer Science Department         Darmstadt University of Technology