Book logo xindy

A Flexible Indexing System

Re: A few comments

	Hello,

> >  >  - writing a makeindex-like script which takes a .idx file and runs
> >  >    it through tex2xindy and xindy. This is fairly easy, except that
> >  >    tex2xindy doesn't seem to be documented at all.
> >
> > The Perl-script makeindex4 does exactly what you want. It should be
> > part of the distribution.
>
> I have seen it, of course, but as far as I have seen, it does not
> offer an option to load additional .xdy files. So, if I want a
> makeindex-like utility with French extensions, I can't directly use
> makeindex4. I chose to call tex2xindy then xindy with my own .xdy
> file. Did I overlook something?

That's correct. What prevented me from doing that is the fact that the
command DEFINE-LOCATION-CLASS-ORDER is currently not designed to allow
incremental specifications. Most of xindy's commands incrementally set
up the indexstyle, to allow more and more modifications and extensions
as the indexstykle is read. For example, the command
DEFINE-LETTER-GROUP allows to place new letter groups into an already
existing list of letter groups. What we acutually need it, is the same
mechanism for DEFINE-LOCATION-CLASS-ORDER, to be able to define new
location classes and add, or insert, them into the order defined
earlier.

This is not possible at the moment. Notheless, this is something that
should be improved.

For your last problem, just use

	xindy -f tex2xindy ...

which filters the .idx files with tex2xindy, and you don't need to
worry about it, yourself (good issue for the HOWTO file). Even cleanup
after an interrupt is implemented. Maybe we should intoduce another
flag, '-T' for example (T like TeX), which is an alias for '-f
tex2xindy" and which makes it even more easier to use xindy in
conjunction with TeX, what do you think?

> >  >  - writing a .xdy file, which contains pieces of makeindex.xdy plus
> >  >    French-specific commands. This requires reading the documentation
> >  >    and browsing through the 'modules' directory. Not easy for casual
> >  >    users.
> >
> > I absolutely agree! Wouldn't that be a good job for you?
>
> Possibly, but I might not have enough time.

Bah! Nobody has! But we do it anyhow ;-)

Cheers,
--Roger

--
Roger Kehr			   kehr@iti.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Computer Science Department         Darmstadt University of Technology