Book logo xindy

A Flexible Indexing System

problem with \

Hello,

I want to start using xindy and I am running into basic alphabet
problems. I am using xindy with xindy.sty and the example style makeidx.sty
where I added (require "tex/isolatin1m.xdy"). I have also set the variable
XINDY_SEARCHPATH to .:/usr/local/tex/texmf/xindy.

Now, with the input file

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\usepackage{makeidx}
\usepackage{xindy}

\makeindex

\begin{document}

xx

\indexindy{avion}
\indexindy{bâteau}
\indexindy{barre}
\indexindy{camelot}
\indexindy{éthiopien}
\indexindy{envie}
\indexindy{exact}
\indexindy{métrique}

\printindex

\end{document}

I get an .idx file looking like

(indexentry :tkey (("avion"))
            :locref "1")
(indexentry :tkey (("b\^ateau"))
            :locref "1")
(indexentry :tkey (("barre"))
            :locref "1")
(indexentry :tkey (("camelot"))
            :locref "1")
(indexentry :tkey (("\'ethiopien"))
            :locref "1")
(indexentry :tkey (("envie"))
            :locref "1")
(indexentry :tkey (("exact"))
            :locref "1")
(indexentry :tkey (("m\'etrique"))
            :locref "1")

which when processed with fmakeidx.xdy (makeidx.xdy + (require "tex/isolatin1m.xd
y"))
gives

\begin{theindex}

  \item 'ethiopien, 1

  \indexspace

  \item avion, 1

  \indexspace

  \item b^ateau, 1
  \item barre, 1

  \indexspace

  \item camelot, 1

  \indexspace

  \item envie, 1
  \item exact, 1

  \indexspace

  \item m'etrique, 1

\end{theindex}

and this is not good, since I want at least to have \'ethiopien, b\^ateau, etc.,
not to speak about the sorting order which I have not yet included.

There are no errors when processing the file with xindy.

What did I do wrong or forget?

Thanks,

Denis Roegel